Plenty of Nothin’: Songs From Shows We’ll Never (?) Do!
Casting: 3 men/2 women.
- Lawrence Lexington: Producer. Grumpy, opinionated and condescending. Grows increasingly intoxicated as the show progresses.
- Doreen Derkins: Musical Director. She’s hot and bothered for Calvin. Very sleazy. Sings a solo.
- Grace Harbuckle: Publicity Manager. Motherly, patient. Sings a solo.
- Calvin Richards: 2011 Director. Over the top excited, real go-getter, first directing gig.
- Festus: Exhausted stage hand who is run off his feet by Lawrence’s constant demands.
The scene opens at the RLOP hall. A Production team is meeting with the intention of choosing a show for Mainstage 2011. Enter Calvin, a budding young director, full of energy but with no real clue as to what show would work. Doreen has her sights set on Calvin so she makes no attempt to hide her interest in him staying on director. Various shows are suggested and turned down, which causes a great deal of tension amongst the team. Desperation sets in as members of the team pull costumes off racks to come up with spur of the moment ideas and it all culminates with a directing twist and the Production Team finally revealing our Mainstage 2011 show.
The show is designed to allow a lot of people to sing, with solos and group numbers from various well known musicals.