Skip to content

Categories:

About RLOP

Records show that in 1937, a group known as the Rossland Orpheus Male Choir was formed.  This group became the Rossland Amateur Operatic Society, directed by H. Mellor Langdale.  In May of 1940, this group presented “Trial by Jury” and “Dominoes” in the Capitol Theatre.  Many members of the Society joined the Armed Forces.  So, after presenting “H.M.S. Pinafore” in 1941, the group disbanded.  Profits of the group, which amounted to $50, were used to buy a Victory Bond.

With the aid of this bond and the enthusiasm of a few music lovers, the Rossland Light Opera Players were organized in the fall of 1951, with approximately 40 members from Rossland and Trail.

The Rossland Light Opera Players is believed to be the oldest amateur musical theatre group in British Columbia, presenting a major musical annually.

From 1951 to 1958, RLOP played only Gilbert and Sullivan (http://en NULL.wikipedia NULL.org/wiki/Gilbert_and_Sullivan) Operettas. In 1959, RLOP broke tradition and played “Gay Rosalinda” (Die Fledermaus (http://en NULL.wikipedia NULL.org/wiki/Fledermaus)). Since then, the troupe has since presented Viennese Operettas (http://en NULL.wikipedia NULL.org/wiki/Operetta#Austria) as well as Broadway and early 20th Century Musicals (http://en NULL.wikipedia NULL.org/wiki/Musicals#The_Golden_Age_ NULL.281940s_to_1960s NULL.29).

RLOP has also performed original works by local artists in 1997 (Boomtown Jubilee!), 2009 (Get a Clue!)  and 2010 (It Happened One Night at the Opera).

RLOP's Hall

The RLOP Hall

In the Fall of 1983, thanks to the very generous initial donation and subsequent financial support of Charles Bailey, Rossland Light Opera Players were able to purchase the heritage building at 2054 Washington Street in Rossland (http://maps NULL.google NULL.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2054+Washington+Street+in+Rossland,+bc,+canada&sll=37 NULL.0625,-95 NULL.677068&sspn=48 NULL.641855,57 NULL.919922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2054+Washington+St,+Rossland,+Kootenay+Boundary+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&ll=49 NULL.077605,-117 NULL.800174&spn=0 NULL.01979,0 NULL.028281&z=15). The building was originally built sometime before 1897 as the Bodega Hotel.

The “Hall” is used for chorus and dance rehearsal, set construction, storage and costuming.

 

After the face lift rlop pic2